0800 085 0226 contact@debtsupporttrust.org.uk

Debt Advice Forum Forums Debt Solutions Sequestration Will Bursary prevent me applying Sequestration

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Debt Advice Forum Debt Advice Forum 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #875


    Please could someone advise me if I would be able to apply and be accepted for the LILA route into Sequestration in Scotland where I am resident.

    I am nursing student and I assure you I do not take this decision lightly and have been struggling with debt for over a year that is affecting both my health and the ability to do my training.

    I am a full time student and work part time.

    My part time average monthly earnings are £790 which is well below the LILA requirement.

    However I also receive an NHS Nursing Bursary of £589 per month please can you tell me would the Bursary be included as income and therefore prevent me from applying for sequestration via the LILA method as the part time wage and bursary together are just over the LILA amount of national min wage.

    I have looked everywhere but just cannot get an answer wither the bursary would prevent me from being accepted through LILA.

    I am not a home owner , I have no assets at all, no car.

    Debts are unsecured.

    Creditors are extremely unhelpful despite efforts. They would not help with any route into sequestration.

    Thank you


    Hi and thank you for joining Debt Advice Forum.

    We would look to review your income and expenditure for the month first. If you have surplus income then you could be asked to make a payment under the LILA route to sequestration, however typically somebody receiving a grant or student money, plus a small part time income would not have the available disposable to make a monthly contribution towards their debt.

    It’s not a definitive answer because if your part time income allows you to earn £2000 per month and you only need £1,500 then you could be asked to contribute towards your debt. The best option would be to seek advice from a debt advisor who could look at your specific situation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.